Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Fri, Oct 24th, 2014

Uncertainty over abduction of ‘more’ girls in Adamawa

Share This
Tags

boko-kidnap-School-Chibok-girlsFrom Ado Abubakar Musa, with agency reports.

Dozens of women and girls from two villages in Nigeria’s north-eastern Adamawa state have been abducted by suspected militants, residents said, according to some international news sites.

The abductions have not been confirmed by the authorities, but residents said they took place a day after the military announced it had agreed a ceasefire with the Boko Haram group.

There were several conflicting reports yesterday, claiming that 45 ladies were abducted from Waga Mongoro District of Madagali lo¬cal government area of Adamwa state, while others reported that 60 women kidnapped from two towns in the state earlier in the week.

The villages affected included Mbo¬roro, Moda, Kwabapale, village, Wa, Vi, Boka, Tilli, Murvwa, Wurogayandi, Mai and Wandu. Others are Futu, Yambele and Wat.

Alh. Mamuda Abubakar, who is a resident of Madagali, told the Hausa service of Voice of America (VOA)that the abduction of girls on Wednesday night in Adamawa took place in villages of Waga Mongoro and Garkida. He said 40 out of them were abducted from Waga Mongoro, while 20 were from Garkida.

On whether they knew the whereabouts of the girls, he said, “We don’t know their whereabouts. We the claimed ceasefire agreement we thought the problem Boko Haram has come an end. So the whole thing is confusing. We have been disunited. Some of us are now in Cameroon.

Sources disclosed that the insurgents are also forcefully recruiting people every day.

The insurgents invaded the district last Saturday, through to Tuesday, making residents to flee to Yola, about 358km away and nearby local govern¬ment headquarters not affected by insurgency.

The insurgents, according to reports, first invaded Waga, the district headquarters, last Saturday night. The town borders Gwoza, in Borno state. They burnt houses while residents fled to relatively safe places away.

The insurgents were also said to have used the abducted ladies as human shields during counter attacks by the Nigerian troops.

Meanwhile, the federal government yesterday said it didn’t know when the ceasefire deal between it and insurgent Boko Haram group would end.

This was revealed yesterday on the Hausa Service of the BBC, monitored in Jos by the spokesperson of the Defence Information Center, Mike Omeri.

He said, “The government, in its declaration of the ceasefire deal did not say the agreement has been sealed or when the agreement ends. All we know is that talks between the two parties are being done on the issue. We said that the sitting would continue this week.”

Omeri further explained that, top in their demands with Boko Haram on the ceasefire agreement was the release of school girls of Government Secondary School Chibok, in Borno state, who were abducted for the past six months and have been in the captivity of the sect, adding that the sect has accepted the demand.

On the reliability of the members of the sect, Omeri said, “All we know is that the people we are negotiating with are those holding the school girls. We should be given time. Everything would be ok”, he added.

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: