…3 Pupils dead, 2 hospitalised
Stories by Stanley Onyekwere
Tragedy struck yesterday as three pupils purportedly died from suspected food poisoning, in Kubwa 11 Local Education Authority (LEA ) primary school in Bwari Area Council.
It was gathered that the deceased, Naima Yahaya,14, primary five; Yahaya Garba,14, primary four, and another (name not given) allegedly lost their lives after consumption of biscuits that was shared by an undisclosed birthday celebrant, on Tuesday.
Aside the 3 pupils that lost their lives, two others were hospitalised from school in circumstances that are still under investigation from relevant authorities including the Nigerian Police Force and the Health and Human Services Secretariat of the FCT.
Consequently, parents thronged the school compound and whisked their wards, while some aggrieved persons shelled stones at the school management.
This latest incident occurred barely two weeks after fire gutted a school bus, killing three pupils in Lugbe District of the nation’s capital.
However, the school has since been closed down for the rest of the week, to enable investigating authorities to carry out a thorough investigation to the incident.
Confirming the incident, the chief medical director, Kubwa general hospital Dr Lasisi Akinola said that the two persons that were rushed to the hospital are now stable.
He said the pupils were sick not as a result of the said food poisoning, notin that the pupils have been sick long before the incident.
On a visit to the school located in Kubwa Village, the Bwari Council chairman, Musa Dikko announced the closure of the school till Monday next week.
Dikko, who disclosed the identity of two victims, said two pupils- Aisha Isa and Hasia Haruna have been taken to hospital for treatment.
He added that the authorities are yet to receive report on the exact cause of deaths and ailments.
On his part, the Divisional police officer DPO Kubwa, CSP Surajudeen Ayobami revealed that suspects have been arrested in respect to the death of one Moses Sunday.
He added that further investigation will be carried out to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act.
Meanwhile, commiserating with the families of the pupils, the Secretary for Education in FCT, Senator Isa Maina, said so far, there has been no evidence of deliberate foul play.
“Until investigations are complete, the cause/causes of the children’s deaths remain speculative.
“Parents are advised to remain calm, and be assured of the safety of their children in all FCT schools.
“The public will be kept up – to- date on the progress of the investigation from the relevant authorities,” the Secretary was quoted in a statement from Assistant Director, Information, Anthony Ogunleye.