Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Mon, Dec 22nd, 2014

Scores killed as twin blasts rocks Gombe, Bauchi

Share This
Tags

From David Hassan, Gombe and Ahmed Kaigama, in Bauchi
At least no fewer than 19 people were said to have been killed
yesterday in Gombe when a suspected female bomber disguised herself as
passenger and entered Dukku Motor Park with a bag loaded with
explosives.
According to eyewitness account, who spoke to our correspondent, the
incident happened at exactly 10:50 a.m., when a female bomber went to
the motor park and detonated a bomb in a Sharon bus that left scores
of people dead, while others sustained degrees of injuries.
He said the bomber, took an advantage when passengers have already
boarded vehicles to travel to other parts of the state, noting that the
bomber was said to have kept the bag at the bus without coming back
to the vehicle.
Speaking further, the source said during the blast, two vehicles were
burnt to ashes, adding that hawkers were among those that were
affected in the blast.
He decried that the bomber would have not succeeded in her mission if
there was serious screening at the gate.
Confirming the incident to newsmen, the Police Public Relation Officer,
DSP Fwaji Atajiri confirmed that during the blast, 19 people were
feared dead while 25 were injured.
He said so far, the police had already condoned the area, noting that
those that died at the incident have been taken to mortuary, adding
that the injured once are responding to treatment at Gombe Specialist
Hospital.
The police spokesman called on the general public to assist security
agents in order maintain law and order, saying the Police cannot
perform its civic responsibility without the assistance of the public
and urged them to report any suspicious movement in their vicinity.
A similar blast had occurred in November at the Gombe line motor park, killing scores of commuters, drivers and traders.
In a related development, a bomb explosion that occurred on Monday evening at the busy central Market close to the Police station in Bauchi, Bauchi State capital, has left scores of people dead with many others severely injured. just as Governor Isa Yuguda condemned the act

The Bauchi State Police Command Public Relation Officer, DSP Mohammed Haruna confirmed the incident saying, “There was bomb explosion at the Bauchi Central Market , Monday, at about 5:30hrs. As a result of the blast, the Market went into flames.

According to him the scene was cordoned off by combined security Forces, including Police explosive ordinance disposal unit.

He said the Commissioner of Police, Mohammed lawal visited the scene for on the spot assessment.

The number of casualties cannot be ascertained yet, because rescue operation was still ongoing yesterday at press time. Effort by state Fire Service operatives was on to put off the fire; however, eyewitnesses said that many people were killed with many others injured.
An eyewitness, who identified himself as Mu’azu Musa, said that he saw charred bodies of victims as they were being evacuated from the scene of the blast.
Musa, who said he was an Okada rider and was by the roundabout near the market when the blast occurred, stated that he fell down from his motorcycle when he saw the charred bodies of the victims, adding that he lost consciousness as a result of this, only to see himself in the hospital.

Victims were seen being evacuated from the scene by Red Cross officials to the Trauma Centre of the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH).
Speaking with journalists at the hospital, the Deputy Chairman, Medical Advisory Council (CMAC) of the hospital in charge of clinical matters, Dr Saidu Abubakar Kadas, stated that the actual figure of the casualties could not be ascertained yet as victims were being brought in.
He, however, assured that the teaching hospital was in a better stead to handle the situation as most of its health workers had been mobilised to attend to the victims.
Also speaking, the chairman of the ATBUTH branch of the Nigerian Union of Allied Health Professionals, Pharmacist Idris Ado, stated that the incident was n fortunate and regrettable.
According to him, the health workers who were currently on strike had been directed to report for work tomorrow (today) to take care of the victims.
Meanwhile, the Bauchi state Governor, Isa Yuguda has condemned in strong terms the Monday evening bomb blast around the Central Market in Bauchi town describing it as a most unfortunate and barbaric incidence aimed at disrupting the absolute peace the State is enjoying.

A Press Statement signed and issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Deacon Ishola Michael Adeyemi condemned the perpetrators of the heinous act, describing them as cowards who are always happy in splitting innocent blood without any justification.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: