By Stanley Onyekwere
Some injured victims of the deadly Nyanya car bomb blast that killed at least 75 people in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have applauded the team of doctors, nurses and the FCT Administration, for quick response, treatment and due attention to their needs.
They gave the commendation yesterday, when our reporter visited some wards at the Asokoro General Hospital, where most of the victims of the blast have been receiving treatment for various degrees of injuries they sustained from the deadliest bomb blast in the nation’s capital.
One of the victims of the blast, a police officer, Rakiyah Sulaiman, said, “The FCT Administration, are trying very well, especially the doctors and the nurses here. They are really taking care of us. Anything we request for, immediately we will get them.
“They are trying; it is only God that will bless them, as they have really tried very well for our wellbeing”.
Similarly, a victim, who simply identified herself as Madam Sulaiman, said since on Monday 14, the day of the blast she was brought to the hospital, the medics there have been taking proper care of her medical and otherwise.
She adds: “If by the grace of God if I walk with my two legs again, I will come and still appreciate them the more.”
However, recalling her ordeal during the unfortunate incident, she said, “I was in the vehicle and we started hearing noises (blast) here and there and I didn’t know where to go, I just started reciting and praying.”
Meanwhile, giving the current statistics of victims, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) at the Asokoro hospital, Dr. Abubakar Ahmadu, said total of patients on admission as at yesterday is 15 and all of them
are responding, out of which six have been surgically operated upon and are responding to treatment.
According to him, 26 patients were brought to the hospital from the scene of the blast, out of which one was transferred to Primus hospital, and one baby, who was reunited with the mum, including three initially were very well, who had minor injuries and requested to be discharged, making an initial five that was discharged from the hospital.
He added that most of those that have not been discharged are with one form of surgery or the other and, when he said their healing processes might take up to two weeks.
“Between Monday and Tuesday we have discharged an additional five, so a total of 11 are not here now, out of those, the number that were actually discharged is about eight, two have been referred (one to Wuse Hospital and one to Primus Hospital).”
“All those that have fractures, we would have discharged them earlier but we want to ensure that they response to treatment. We are expecting that they might be with us for another 10 days or there about but at least a minimum of two weeks,” he said.
He however, said, none among the injured victims brought to the hospital from the 26 patients have died, and a total of 12 victims (corpes) have been identified by relatives, but only six have been collected so far.
He however disclosed that there are two of them (corpes) that are ‘query-query’- difficult to identify.
It would be recalled that, Chairman, Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Smart Adeyemi, have also commended the efforts of FCT Administration in providing enabling environment as well as equipment needed in the its hospitals, which has helped in managing the bomb blast victims when he visited the victims across FCT last week.