… BEDC denies incident
From Osakhare Erese, Asaba
A nursing mother identified as Mrs. Favour Agbo and her four months child have reportedly been electrocuted in Ogwashi-Uku community near Asaba, Delta State.
It was reliably gathered that the incident which occurred on Tuesday night, was still hazy as at the time of this report, especially with conflicting versions of the incident.
Investigation revealed that the victims, native Anambra State, were residents of Isah road, Ogwashi-Uku before the incident but unconfirmed sources said electricity wire in the women’s room sparked off the inferno that engulfed her entire room, and in the process consumed her, and her children while another version said the victims were shocked by the naked wire that fell on their bed where they were sleeping.
Further investigation revealed that electric wire inside the ceiling of the roof of the building which the victims were living caught fire, and affected the plaster of Parish ceiling which eventually melted and fell on the bed of the victims while they were fast asleep.
But the husband who was sleeping in other room narrowly escaped being consumed by the inferno with one of their children who was said to have slept with him in the same room.
A co-tenant, Maryjane Obeh who spoke to our reporter, confirmed that all efforts to put out the inferno proved abortive by neighbours through their distressed calls adding the victims were later rushed to the hospital in Asaba where the woman and her four months old baby gave the ghost in the early hours yesterday.
At Ogwashi-Uku Police Division, Police Officers who did not want their names in the print said no case of such was reported, adding that they were going to do some findings.
When contacted, the Corporate Affairs Manager of BEDC, Mrs. Esther Okolie told journalists that she was not aware of the incident, adding that she heard the incident from journalists, and assured of getting back after getting necessary details.