The electoral committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) headed by Amoni Biambo has been accused of hoarding electoral forms and favouring certain candidates, as the August 26 NFF elections fast approaches.
Some disgruntled aspirants for positions in the next NFF board have been speaking to newsmen on the condition of anonymity of how it has been impossible for them to obtain election forms from the electoral committee.
Of course, it hasn’t been plain sailing for Nigerian football over the last month, with crisis rocking the Nigeria football federation, eventually culminating in a FIFA suspension, and then the impeachment of Aminu Maigari as president of the federation.
One potential aspirant said that “It has been difficult to get the forms and it is clear that they are working on a script. Some individuals are being favoured because those individuals have since gotten their forms whereas people like me are yet to get it,” he said.
Similarly, executive board member of the present NFF board and also a member of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, Suleiman Kwande have expressed disappointment at the development.
He said, “I haven’t gotten the form and you can imagine how difficult it will be for some other person out there who wants to purchase the form also.”
“Despite me being a member of the current board, and also a serving member of the Federal House of Representatives, it has been difficult,” he said.
No official reasons have been given for the delay in the release of the forms, but insinuations are rife that ‘certain elements’ are being ‘prevented’ from winning seats into the glass house.
The date for the elections remain unchanged as communicated by the NFF, but will now hold in Nigeria’s capital of Abuja, and no longer Warri, in Delta State.