By Albert Akota
The Minister of Sports and Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tammy Danagogo has expressed dissatisfaction with the manner in which the NFF Electoral Committee led by Amoni Biambo, has carried out its assignment so far.
Danagogo who brief newsmen shortly after meeting with the NFF Board described the electioneering process as being fraudulent and not transparent.
“The process has not been transparent, the process has not been open, the fact is that we are not interested in any candidate. We stand for transparency in the electoral process.
“We do not want to get involved in the electoral matter; the forms should be made available to all contestants. There should be a level playing field for all.”
In particular, the Minister and the NFF Board frowned at the process that led to the emergence of Chris Giwa, as the sole candidate for the position of Presidency in the upcoming election into the Executive Committee of the NFF.” His words.
Consequently, the Executive Committee of NFF has announced that it would propose to the General Assembly, the dissolution of the NFF Electoral Committee and the NFF Electoral Appeals Committee put in place for the 2014 NFF Executive Committee elections.
Following a meeting at the NFF Secretariat in Abuja, the Executive Committee disclosed that it would call an Extra-Ordinary General Assembly of Nigeria football for Tuesday, 26th August, 2014 to ratify its proposals.
Acting 1st Vice President, Shehu Adamu said the electoral process has been, unfortunately, littered with avoidable flaws and deliberate disenfranchisement of eligible members of the Nigeria football family.
“Following from a statement by the Acting President which was made public eight days ago, in which the NFF said it was worried by the hitches and complaints and widespread criticisms of the process, we have discovered that nothing improved and it was rather allowed to get worse.
“The Electoral Committee has failed to satisfy the yearnings of the football family for a fairplay and credibility of the process. We are deeply disappointed at how people have been non-challantly disenfranchised.
In the interest of fair play and based on our commitment to ensuring a credible election that will lift the name of our country, the NFF Executive Committee hereby proposes the dissolution of the Electoral and Electoral Appeals Committee to the Congress, which we are calling for Tuesday, 26th August, 2014.”
Adamu decried the lack of transparency in the entire process and assured that the NFF will consult with world football –governing body, FIFA and the General Assembly on a probable new date for the elections.
“As it is, we have to start the entire process afresh. In view of this, it will be impossible to hold the elections as earlier scheduled on Tuesday, 26th August, 2014. We will propose a new date for the General Assembly and consult with FIFA on this matter.
“As a result, the Electoral Committee and the Electoral Appeals Committee would have to step aside for now,” he said.