From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna
The 1 Division Nigerian Army, Kaduna has given the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Kaduna state chapter 7 days ultimatum to retract the allegations of military’s involvement in the recently concluded Kaduna local government election or face legal action.
The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Muhammad Dole, stated this in a statement made available to the media in Kaduna yesterday.
Col. Dole said that the attention of the 1 Division has been drawn to a
press release issued by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Kaduna State Chapter, alleging the involvement of the General Officer Commanding (GOC),
1 Division Nigerian Army (NA), Major General M Mohammed in the recently concluded Local Councils elections in Kaduna State.
The statement described the allegation as “desperate move by either political party faction or an opposition party to blackmail or drag the military into party politics.”
According to the military, “Previously, it was a false allegation of the demolition of a party Secretariat and now direct involvement of the GOC. This allegation is totally baseless and irresponsibly conceived with an ill motive of tarnishing the image and personality of the GOC.
“The fact of the matter is that, on Friday 11 May 2018, General Mohammed was dutifully engaged in Kano, where he attended the burial rites of the late Sheikh Isyaka Rabiu and turbaning ceremony of Liuetenant General Abdulrahman Danbazau (rtd) (Minister of Interior) as BARADEN KANO.
“On Saturday 12 May 2018, General Mohammed accompanied the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Liuetenant General TY Buratai to pay condolence visit to the families of late Sheikh Isyaka Rabiu in Kano and, thereafter, visited Depot NA in Zaria before returning to Kaduna in the evening after the conduct of the local Councils elections.
“The military personnel are concious of their roles in the conduct of any election exercise and strictly abide by the code of conduct Likewise, military hierarchy always emphasises apolitical stance of its troops in all the occasions.
“The perpetrators of this falsehood are expected to back up their allegations with pictorial or visual aids of the scenes of the event to prove the involvement of the GOC or troops of the 1 Division NA in any part of Kaduna State.
“In view of the foregoing, Headquarters, 1 Division NA requests the immediate retraction of this allegation with apology to our gallant officers and men who are daily paying supreme sacrifice to ensure peaceful atmosphere in Kaduna State.
“The perpetrators should issue retraction of this unfounded allegation on or before Saturday 26 May 2018. Otherwise, an appropriate legal action will be taken against them,” he said.