By Joy Baba Yesufu
The Nigerian military yesterday confirmed the takeover of Baga in Borno State by members of the Boko Haram terrorist group
After an emergency security meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh, told reporters that Niger and Chad had withdrawn their troops from Baga, a situation that apparently led to the takeover of the town that had been in contention.
The meeting was held to assess the security situation in the country especially in the north-east.
The Air Chief, however, said that the countries had not pulled out of the multinational Joint Task Force contingent fighting the terrorist group in the north-east.
He assured Nigerians that the military would overcome the insurgents at all cost.
“I wish it could be closed. But how do you close such a large border? And it is not for military to close border anyway,” he said, emphasising that more collaboration with the security agencies of the border nations should be explored rather than border closure.
The army chief may have given needed explanations about the border issues, but many Nigerians want to know how safe it is to conduct elections in the north-east.
Talks on the possibility of conducting elections in the north-east states that have witnessed more of the terrorists’ attacks topped discussions at the meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan.
would want to know what the Federal Government is doing to secure lives and property in the region.
Those also in attendance at the meeting were the Attorney-General of the Federation, Governors of Adamawa, Yobe and Kaduna States.