From Edwin Olofu, Kano
The Joint Military Task force (JTF), in Kano yesterday denied the arrest of a trainer and 16 female suicide bombers in Kano.
The spokesman of the Joint Military Task Force, Captain Ikechukwu Eze, said on phone that “we don’t have 16 female suicide bombers in our custody”.
Captain Eze, who did not clarify on the suspected arrest of a trainer and female suicide bombers within Kano metropolis, frowned at what he described as the press being sensational on issues bordering on national security.
However, he didn’t confirm whether the military operation had connection with those behind the female suicide bombing in Kano of late.
“I cannot speak on the issues, but we didn’t arrest 16 persons as reported earlier in the media (not Peoples daily)”, he stated.
However, security sources in Kano told Peoples Daily that the JTF raided the hideout of suspected terrorist in Kano metropolis on August 4 and arrested six persons, which included two ladies of secondary school age”.
The source further confirmed that “ the military sent a letter to all sister security agencies in the city, intimating them about the success of the operation”.
Our reporter learnt that the military are keeping the details of the operation from the general public in order not to hamper what sources described as “ robust investigation”.
It would be recalled that Kano witnessed series of attack orchestrated by female suicide bombers that claimed no fewer than twelve lives, while 23 sustained injuries.
A top security officer, who does not want his name in print, said that those in custody have no link with Sambisa forest, adding that “we are working tirelessly to unravel the mystery of the emerging trend in terror attack”.