President Goodluck Jonathan’s one-day campaign visit to Ekiti state, scheduled for April 8, has been postponed.
The News Agency of Nigeria, (NAN) reports that the President was initially billed to inaugurate the campaign of the PDP gubernatorial candidate, Mr. Ayo Fayose.
The Director-General of Ayo Fayose Campaign team, Chief Dipo Anisulowo, and the State Publicity Secretary of PDP, Pastor Kola Oluwole disclosed this at a news conference on Sunday.
They said the postponement was caused by refusal of Ekiti State government to approve usage of Ado-Ekiti Stadium .
They also said the leadership of the party in the state had earlier written a letter of request to the state governor, intimating him of the visit .
However, they said the party was shocked to read a government reply, dated April 2, 2014 with Reference No SS2 Vol. IV/08 and signed by one Mr. P.O Dada, detailing the refusal of the State to allow use of the state Stadium.
“This action of the State government clearly shows the level of intolerance and unwarranted hatred for the opposition which is condemnable.
“The Ekiti State Stadium belongs to the Ekiti people and not APC, the public utility is being funded with Ekiti people’s money, it is, therefore, surprising that the people of Ekiti, who are members of the opposition party are being denied the use of the public utilities,” they said.
The party said the development had been communicated to Mr President, who would in due course se a new date.
Reacting to on the issue, the state Commissioner for Sports, Kayode Plagiarism said the date set by PDP for use of the stadium coincided with a national league match billed earlier at the venue.
He said there was nothing political about the decision.