Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Wed, Oct 15th, 2014

Jonathan bids farewell to Maku, Wike, 5 others

Share This
Tags

Minister-of-Information-Labaran-MakuBy Lawrence Olaoye

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday led the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to thank seven ministers who may resign from the cabinet before Monday, October 20, because of their governorship ambitions.

Addressing the cabinet members at the valedictory session for those seven ministers at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting yesterday, Jonathan confirmed that seven ministers have indicated their intentions to contest the governorship of their respective states, thusWednesday’s FEC meeting will be the last for them.

Although the President clarified that none of them had officially written to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, to officially register their ambitions, he however said that they may not attend subsequent FEC meeting to be convened by next Wednesday.

Those the President said may not attend next meeting include the minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu (Ebonyi); Minister of State, Niger Delta, Darius Ishaku (Taraba); and the Education Minister of State, Barrister Nyesom Wike (Rivers).

Others are the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku (Nasarawa), Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chief Emeka Wogu (Abia); Minister of State, Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro (Lagos) and Chief Samuel Ortom, Minister of State, Trade and Investments (Benue).

Jonathan explained that the ministers would have to resign their appointment before the October 20th deadline given by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) since they are all contesting on the platform of the party.

The president also warned those who have not really perfected their plans to contest against writing, endorsing and submitting a resignation letter as any such letter received from them by the SGF will be treated forthwith without further consideration.

Power Minister, Professor Chinedu Nebo, who addressed the cabinet on behalf of the government, counseled the quitting ministers to deploy the experience garnered so far in the administration of the various states if they eventually succeed at winning their elections.

Responding on behalf of the quitting ministers, Information Minister commended Jonathan for being focused on nation’s building despite the plethora of distractions from the opposition elements.

Some other ministers who had been touted to be harbouring governorship ambition but failed to inform the President are Minister of State Finance, Bashir Yuguda and his Special Duties counterpart, Tanimu Turaki.

Meanwhile, indications emerged yesterday that Senator Bala Muhammad, the Minster of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), may have dumped his ambition to vie for the governorship slot of his home state, Bauchi, in the forthcoming 2015 election.

This became apparent as his name was conspicuously missing from the list of the ministers who have indicated interest in quitting the Goodluck Jonathan-led cabinet ahead of the 2015 general elections.

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: