The Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) looks to scrutinize the sale of domestic gas in the council, as part of precautionary measures against incidents of explosion.
To this end, the Council has set up a committee to study how gas and its accessories are to be displayed and sold in the area especially suburbs and rural communities.
This move was against the backdrop of rampaging fire incident in Jahi II village, which occurred as a result of cylinders Gas explosion, leaving about 23 people with severe injuries.
According to AMAC Chairman, Abdullahi Adamu Candido, by the time the committee will submit its findings and report, the Council would come up with the Government White paper that will be enable it to take a decision to guide against its reoccurrence in the future.
A statement signed by Candido’s Chief Press Secretary, Chief Dayo Lawal yesterday said he made this disclosure while on a visit to the Chief of jahi II to console with the leaders and people of the village over the fire incident.
“I have already put in place a committee to study how gas and its accessories are being displayed and sold in our locality, so that we guide against what has happened here.
“There are specific areas that gas and its accessories are supposed to be sold. They must never be within the community.
“And so at the end of the committee findings and report submitted, we will be able to come up with Government White paper on what the Council will take as a decision to guide against its reoccurrence,” Candido affirmed.
The statement added that the AMAC Chairman made cash donation of N690,000 to the victims.
“The Council would have loved to settle all the hospital bills of the victims, explained that because of the Council’s dwindling resources, it could only provided this amount of money to assist the victims,” the statement stated.