Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Sun, Dec 21st, 2014

Insurgency: Borno govt insists on Sheriff ‘s link

Share This
Tags

Senator Ali Modu SheriffFrom Ado Abubakar Musa, Jos

The Borno Government insists that former governor Ali Modu Sheriff, has links with Boko Haram sponsorship even though the Department of the State Security Service (DSSS) has cleared him and the former Chief of Army Staff, General Azubuike Ihejirika.

The state government made this declaration through the media aide to Governor Kashim Shettima, Malam Isa Gusau, on the Hausa Service of the BBC monitored in Jos yesterday.

He said if Sheriff’s claims that the allegations filed by the Australian negotiator, Steven Davies were purported and unfair, why didn’t he sue the latter for redress, especially as the negotiator had earlier challenged him to do so.

Gusau further restated that one of the seven suspects recently paraded by the DSSS, had worked with Sheriff when he was the governor of the state and has a very good relationship with him, stressing that Sheriff was the one who insisted that that person should be enrolled to work in Shettima’s administration.

He noted that before the departure of Davies, he (Davies) has reaffirmed that if Ihejirika and Sheriff deny his claims, they should go to court, adding that, the International negotiator has claimed that he had evidential facts to prove his report beyond any doubt if need arose.

Gusau said: “We are surprised at what Sheriff is saying; if he disputes that Davies’ report was not true, he should have sued him. Davies has said he had all the necessary facts to present to prove Sheriff’s involvement in the Boko Haram group.”

The reaction by Shettima’s aide came after Sheriff granted an interview on Saturday on a morning programme of the BBC Hausa Service, where he boasted that the truth has been unfolded since he had been exonerated by the said arrested suspects, alleging that Davies’s report was a cock and bull story planned by some people from Borno to tarnish his image and reputation.

Asked on whether or not Sheriff is communicating with Shettima, Gusau said, “ I do not know if they are communicating or not.” On whether Shettima accepts Sheriff’s advice that would help to move the state forward, Gusau said, his boss would listen to him and work together to salvage Borno State.

Jonathan responsible for killings – APC

Following the recent abduction and killing of some residents of Gumsere village, in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State, the opposition All Progressives Congress, (APC) , has reiterated that the continued massacre of people and destruction of properties in the northern part of Nigeria was due to the refusal of Jonathan-led administration to act on the previous advice offered by the party.

The APC said this through its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in an interview on the English Service of the Voice of America, monitored in Jos.

He noted that the APC had severally advised President Jonathan on how go about ending Boko Haram insurgency but he turned deaf ears to the party’s advice, stressing that if the APC’s presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) was given the mandate come 2015, he would surely put an end to the bedevilling activities of the dreaded sect.

“We, in the APC, have severally given the necessary advice to the government on how to tackle insurgency in the North-East but the government refused to act on it. So the government is careless and should be responsible and be blamed for what is happening,” Muhammad said.

He said: “The use of force to end insurgency in the North-East is not the solution. Let there be dialogue with the aggrieved members of the group, but not fighting. The dialogue would help to understand where the group is heading to.”

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: