Lawmaker in the House of Representatives, Rep Francis Haske Hannaniya (PDP, Adamawa) advised President Goodluck Jonathan not to wait for the National Assembly’s approval on his request to take loan of $1 billion. Instead, he said the president should withdraw from the excess crude account to fight Boko Haram.
The lawmaker who represents Gombi/Hong Federal Constituency of Adamawa state made the call yesterday in Abuja while reacting to the renewed killings by Boko Haram in parts of Adamawa, Yobe, Borno and Kano state.
He said “The request is justified because it is without doubt that the military needs arms to fight these insurgents. I call on Mr. President to take money from the execs crude account or reserves and procure equipment for the army tackle Boko Haram head on.
“I urge Mr. President to go ahead because with what is going on; Nigeria cannot afford to wait for another one month. The National Assembly is resuming sometime in September and unless an emergency session is called, the president will continue to wait. The president has to act now”
It will be recalled that President Jonathan had written the National Assembly seeking approval to obtain a $1 billion loan to help the federal government in its war against terrorism and other security challenges in the country.
The president stressed that there was an urgent need to upgrade the equipment, training and logistic of the country’s Armed Forces and Security services to enable them confront the serious threat posed by Boko Haram sect more forcefully.
On last Sunday’s attack on villages and communities in Adamawa state, the lawmaker appealed to the federal government to direct the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to immediately assist victims of Madagali, Hong and Gombi local government areas attacks.
According to him, over 2,000 people have so far been displaced by the attacks on communities last Sunday adding that though he made individual efforts to assist them with relief materials, they were not adequate.
“I can tell you that, as at Tuesday, over 2,000 people have been displaced in Gombi alone. We have tried to send them relief materials but it is not enough. My plea now is for the federal government to assist displaced people living in Hong and Gombi”, he appealed.
It will be recalled that no fewer than 50 people including four soldiers were killed last Sunday by members of the Boko Haram sect in coordinated attacks across three local government areas of the state.