Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Mon, Mar 23rd, 2020

Home delivery: Housing scheme subscribers seek FCT minister’s intervention

Share This
Tags

By Mashe Umaru Gwamna

The National Housing Scheme (NHS) subscribers have urged the Minister of Federal Capital Territory(FCT)
Mohammed Bello, to intervene and ensure that the homes they subscribed for are delivered to them.
Mr Emeka Anuna,the Chairman of the Association of Subscribers of National Housing Scheme made this appeal at a news conference in Abuja.
He called on the minister to intervene to ensure that the subscribers got justice from GoodHomes Development Company, the project executor.
Anuna, who led members of the association, said the conference was about the nationwide workers housing scheme at Apo Tafyi.
He said that 10,000 variant housing units were to be delivered within six months period by the project executor.
He added that the subscribers made payments since 2012 to the project executor.
“In total and still counting, we have paid Goodhomes Development Company the sum of N348. 97 million.
“We the subscribers have been fleeced, yet we neither have our money, houses nor our lands.
“In 2012, housing units that would have cost us N12.4 million, will now cost over N30 million and this is within the minimum wage salaries.
“At the pains of repetition, spanning eight years, not even a gate house has been fully constructed or even a single unit of housing fully built at the site.
“In investing in this project, we placed unquestionable trust in our government as the authority behind it.
“We seek protection of this same government to allocate this land directly to us having superintended over a scheme that fleeced Nigerians,’’ he said.
Anuna claimed that the company had been selling the same lands to unsuspecting Nigerians under a new name Nick and Harry, adding that they had since protested the fraudulent act.
He said that the association had written letters of complaints and three reminders to the FCT minister referring to him as a man of integrity.
The chairman however referred to the project as a failed one, trapped with the hard-earned life savings of poor civil servants and their home ownership aspirations.
Anuna called on the FCT minister to intervene within two months for the lands to be revoked and allocated directly to the subscribers.
Responding to the appeal, Mr Chinyeaka Ohaa, the Permanent Secretary of FCT, said subscribers’ reference to the issue was always an emotional one.
He said the issues were being taken care of and urged the association to put all their complaints in writing, attach all the relevant documents and submit it to the ministry.
Ohaa however promised that the FCDA would do all within its power to address the issue.
It would be recalled that on Feb. 24, the subscribers held similar news conference at the labour house building calling on the Nigerian Labour Congress to intervene on their behalf.
Meanwhile, the Chief Executive Officer of Goodhomes, Daniel Nwokedi, denied the allegations by the concerned subscribers, saying they were baseless.
Going to site ,there were structures on ground and some were even near completion.
The housing scheme is an initiative of Federal Government through the FCDA in collaboration with , which was to be executed by the GoodHomes Development Company.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: