Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Sun, Jan 18th, 2015

Gombe blasts: Victims were treated by resident doctors, says NMA

Share This
Tags

… Urges JOHESU members to suspend strike

From David Hassan, Gombe

National Medical Association (NMA) Gombe state chapter has denied media report that doctors at the hospitals in Gombe as a result of strike were unable to assist victims who were affected during

explosion that left six people dead and injured ten others at a satellite market in Arawa area of Gombe state.

The chairman of the association, Dr. Danladi Adamu Bojude who made the disclosure yesterday in Gombe while briefing newsmen also said Gombe resident doctors are not on strike as it was reported in one of the national dailies, He called on the public to discard the report even as he said the

report was not true, but noted that there is need for the media to cross-check their facts before going to the press.

Speaking further, the chairman said those who were affected during the explosion on Friday were given adequate attention by doctors at Gombe Specialist Hospital with a view to ensure that the affected victims get proper treatment.

He debunked media report on Saturday by the national daily online that doctors were unavailable to attend to affected victims during the blast on Friday and that the injured were being treated by aid volunteers and nurses because doctors were on strike.

“I want to state categorically that resident doctors are fully on ground to serve, and we would not relent to serve humanity, we call on patients not to hesitate to report their cases to nearest hospital in order to be attended by the doctors he said.”

The NMA also called on members of the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) in the state, to suspend its strike and attend to victims of recent bomb blasts in the state.

He said doctors in the state had been making frantic efforts to attend to victims, but that the work was overwhelming as they were performing the jobs of almost every health worker.

Also commenting on the issue, Consultant Surgeon, Dr Adesina Opoola, said the victims were received and attended to by all doctors up to 2 p.m., but said they needed more hands as the work was overwhelming.

Recall that Gombe metropolis recorded two incidents of suicide bombing last week.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: