Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Tue, Oct 7th, 2014

Gbagyi, Koro communities declare support for creation of Gurara state

Share This
Tags

From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna

The Gbagyi and Koro Communities who are two of native groups that makes up Jere Chiefdom, in Kagarko Local Government Area of Kaduna State, yesterday declared their unshakable support for the creation of   Gurara State from the present Kaduna State.

The two communities have also disassociated themselves from a statement credited to one Alhaji Hayatudeen Suleiman, who expressed contrary view that Jere people do not support the move.

Speaking at a joint press conference  held in Kaduna , the Gbagyi and Koro people said they  make up 95% population of Jere Chiefdom, and were in total support for the creation of a new state from the present 13 local government area  that make up Southern Kaduna.

 In his remark, the Chairman of Gbagyi Development Union, Mr. Bako said the Gbagyi of Jere hereby condemns in strong terms and dismissed in entirely the unauthorized statement of Alhaji Hayatudeen Suleiman.

“We joined the other 56 tribal groupings of Southern Kaduna to unconditionally support the creation of Gurara state. If the settlers in Jere who make up just about 5% of our population do not want a new state where we will have accelerated development for all, they certainly do not represent the majority, and their view should not be binding on us.

“We the indigenous people of Jere make up 95% of the population, while the settlers, who do not want a new state, make up the rest 5%.” He stated.

Jere noted that the call by Suleiman and his group  on the National Assembly that if Gurara state is created, that a boundary adjustment should be made is without majority support, unrealistic and unconstitutional.

Similarly, Dr. Ayuba A. Kura, who is the National President of  Koro Community Development Association,  said the Koro  community wants to place on record that traditional rulers of Southern Kaduna, including the Chief of Jere, Alhaji  Saad Usman, have signed in support of Gurara State.

“The signatories to the memorandum for the creation of Gurara State include Muslims and Christians, as well as leaders of 56 ethnic nationalities that make up the Gurara area.

“As the largest community in Kagarko LGA, the Koro community unequivocally states our unflinching support for the creation of Gurara state, and no detractor will succeed in destroying our hopes.

We are happy that the national conference has endorsed the creation of Gurara state and the LGs therein.” said the Koro community leaders.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: