From Mustapha Adamu, Kano
In the wake of the ongoing fuel scarcity being experienced in the country, two petroleum black marketers died, one other sustained injury in a tricycle loaded with jerry cans of fuel, which somersaulted and caught fire in Kano State.
The deadly incident occurred yesterday, near Ja’en primary school in Gwale local government area of the state, when the victims involved in the tragedy were returning from Fanshekara area where they bought the product.
Eyewitness said the tricycle suddenly somersaulted with the three people and their loads in it, adding that it instantly caught fire to the point that two of the victims could not be rescued due to severity of the raging flames, which no good samaritan could ever bravely confronting.
According to the eyewitness account, the driver was said to have abruptly alighted out of the tricycle and scampered for safety, while the other victim sustained injuries all over his body.
The injured victim is now responding to treatment at the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital in Kano.
Reacting to the incident, the director of the Kano State Fire Service, Balarabe Habu Kabara, wondered why petrol should be played with anyhow, as it is highly inflammable, suspecting that one of the victims in the tricycle could have ignited the fire by using a cigarette lighter.
He called on the people of the state to avoid anything capable of causing fire outbreak during the present harmattan season, stressing that with precautionary measure taken, such incidents could be drastically reduced.