From Ahmad Mohammed, Bauchi
A fire inferno has burnt the house of Bauchi state newspapers distributor, Alhaji Mai Kudi Ahmed at Tudun Salmanu quarters, Fadaman Mada area of the state capital and burnt the entire rooms in the house, cloths and other valuables.
Mai kudi is a major distributor of all Nigerian newspapers and magazines in the state and has been in the business for over 20 years.
In his account of the incident, Maikudi told reporters yesterday in Bauchi that the incident occurred last Sunday around 12 midnight as a result of electric fault.
He said he and his family members were asleep when the fire outbreak started and his attention was drawn to it by his youngest daughter who came out of her room to ease herself.
“When she came out, she discovered that there was fire at my car garrage. She screamed and we all came out to see what was happening.
We realized that it was an inferno, I went back quickly to my room and picked my phone with which I informed fire service personnel”.
“I also went to the garage to remove my car but immediately I drove out with the car, the inferno permeated the entire house and burnt everything including our nine rooms, cloth, books and other valuables,” he cried out.
The newspaper distributor said his two wives and children are currently taking refuge at neighbours’ houses and he squats somewhere outside the area to sleep at night.
He appealed to the state government to come to their aid revealing that he and his family have to get cloth from neighbours as nothing was evacuated from the residence during the inferno.
“Before the arrival of fire service personnel and neighbors to extinguish the fire, everything was already burnt to ashes. So far, I reported the incident to director of press Government House Bauchi.”