Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Tue, Jul 15th, 2014

FIFA suspension: South Africa wants to replace Nigeria

Share This
Tags

fifa-logo_1If reports emanating from the local media is anything to go by, then South Africa have made advances to take the place of Nigeria in the U-20 Women World Cup scheduled to hold from August 5-24 in Canada.

The two teams clashed in the qualifiers with the Falconets thrashing the South African U20 side 6-0 in Abuja, and 1-0 in Soweto.

This followed FIFA’s suspension of Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, from all the activities of the world football governing body.

South Africa’s delegation to FIFA was led by Danny Jordaan, President of the South African Football Association.

FIFA source said the delegation said their team had been on standby so as not to disrupt the programme.

According to them, there is no sentiment in such a situation.

Nigeria was suspended on July 9 over an alleged interference by government in the running of football in the country.

FIFA claimed that Nigeria violated Article 13 of its statute mandating member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence of third parties.

“The most immediate effect is that Nigeria will not be entitled to participate in the upcoming FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup unless the suspension is lifted by July 15.”

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: