Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Sun, Oct 5th, 2014

Ebola: Nigerian suspect had no virus – US hospital

Share This

Ebola-VirusBy Doyin Ojosipe with agency report

A US-based hospital, Howard University hospital, has said that a medical team has determined that a patient who returned from Nigeria and was feared afflicted with Ebola does not have the disease.

The Washington-based hospital, working with the District of Columbia Department of Health and U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said it was able to rule out Ebola for the patient, whose identity was not disclosed.

The patient is to be treated for “other illnesses,” according to the health department.

The hospital said on Friday that it had admitted a patient who returned from travel to Nigeria and placed him in isolation due to concerns he might have Ebola.

The first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States took a turn for the worse on Saturday, slipping from serious to critical condition, as health officials reported fielding scores of possible cases around the country that proved to be false alarms.

The governments of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia are struggling to contain the worst outbreak on record of the deadly hemorrhagic fever.

The World Health Organisation (WHO), on Friday said nearly 3,450 people had died of the disease since its outbreak in March.

Also a top federal health official said Sunday morning that a man being treated for Ebola in a Dallas hospital was “fighting for his life.”

Thomas Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Thomas Eric Duncan remains the only person diagnosed with Ebola in the country. Frieden said he expected that the infection would not spread rapidly to others through people who had contact with Duncan.

“We’re confident we won’t see a large number of cases from this,” Frieden said.

According to the Washington Post, the CDC head made his remarks on CNN’s “State of the Union.” Duncan’s condition worsened from serious to critical Saturday afternoon, according to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, where he is being treated.

Frieden said officials were monitoring about 50 people who may have come into contact with Duncan to see whether they develop a fever. They will be monitored for 21 days, he said.

“Contact tracing is the core public health activity that is stopping this in its tracks,” Frieden said.


Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: