The embattled ‘President’ of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Chris Giwa has finally spoken of the latest development in Nigerian football, by saying ‘there is no cause for alarm’.
Giwa was speaking at the inauguration of the various committees set up by his board to tackle the myriads of problems that has put Nigeria on the verge of a FIFA ban.
He says: “I want to ensure Nigerians again that there’s no cause for alarm as we have received the latest FIFA letter and there is no problem.
“I also want to tell Nigerians that FIFA will not ban us and they should trust us on that,” he said.
World football governing body, FIFA have instructed that Giwa stops parading himself as President of the NFF latest Monday, September 8, or risk Nigeria being automatically banned from all international football activities.
Already, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) have issued a warning that should Nigeria fail to honour the second 2015 AFCON qualifier against South Africa in Cape Town, she will be automatically disqualified from the qualifying race.
But Giwa has remained defiant, in what could be a reminiscence of the Mike Umeh/Aminu Maigari struggle for the NFF top seat last month, on Monday.
“We assure Nigerians that we will not suffer a FIFA ban because we know what we’re doing,” he said.
Meanwhile, Giwa also inaugurated the six-man committee to run the Nigeria professional football league, after the suspension of The League Management Company.