The dreaded Boko Haram sect yesterday attacked Gerta and Fina villages of Michika local government area of Adamawa state, killing five residents and setting ablaze many houses, including the house of Gerta village head.
A victim of the attack who spoke on the Hausa service of the BBC monitored in Jos revealed that the insurgents who stormed the area in the afternoon of Sunday arrived on bikes in large numbers.
He said, “The gunmen in their large numbers stormed Gerta in the afternoon and later moved to Fina all in Michika. Michika has been under the control of Boko Haram, with people living in some surrounding villages.
“In the attack, the insurgents killed five people. Two of them were slaughtered. They burnt down many houses including that of the village head. One of the people killed was my brother “, he added.
This development is coming few days after the Federal Government announced the ceasefire agreement between it and Boko Haram.
When BBC asked the victim on whether there was security presence during the attack, he said, “There were no security personnel in the villages when the insurgents stormed the area, because the whole of the Local Government Council (LGC) has been under the Boko Haram siege. Asked who the attackers were, he emphatically alleged that the attackers must have been Boko Haram insurgents as the LGC is in their control.
He further said that many people have fled to the bush for their lives, adding that they had been crying of hunger
Meanwhile, a member of the Boko Haram sect, Danladi Ahmadu, has alleged that most attacks credited to the group are not carried out by any of their members, claiming that his members are being framed by the military who get compensated by perpetrating same and hanging it on sect members.
Ahmadu, who spoke with the Hausa service of the VOA recently, informed that he was speaking from Cameroon, Nigeria and Chad, and maintained that the group was innocent of some of the crimes it was being indicted for.
According to the Boko Haram spokesman, “I am also very sure that some of the attacks being linked to our group are not true and we have evidence to show that some attacks have been carried out by the Nigerian Army, not our members.”
He added: “Whenever they detonate bombs and kill people, they said its Boko Haram even as we know nothing about some of the attacks. We consider all those accusation as defamation of character and for some attacks they carry out in order to destroy our name. We have also heard that each time they did that, their allowances are increased.”
As part of efforts to foster peace deal between the group and the Federal Government, Ahmadu said, “we were involved in a meeting with the Chadian President early and late September, and Hassan Tukru was part of the meeting where it was decided that both our members and the Nigeria government embrace peace.”
“In fact, as part of the deal, Tukur requested that the abducted Chibok girls should be release to him so that he will present them to the government during the meeting,” he said.
He further appealed to his members to embrace peace and surrender their weapons saying “I want to appeal to our members to abide by the seize fire deal and stay wherever they are for now so that we all can live in peace. I must say that what is happening in Nigeria currently is very bad. Allah has destined that this will happen but I am appealing to all our members to drop their weapon.”
He added that “I want to remind our members that this group is an Islamic group and I am asking members to stop attack because we realized that any mayhem perpetrated is hanged on Boko Haram and this is true.”
We were involved in a meeting with the Chadian President early and late September, and Hassan Tukru was part of the meeting where it was decided that both our members and the Nigeria government embrace peace. In fact, as part of the deal, Tukur requested that the abducted Chibok girls should be released to him so that he will present them to the government during the meeting.