Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Tue, Mar 17th, 2020

Delta govt allays fears of coronavirus

Share This
Tags

 

From Nosa Akenzua, Asaba

Delta Commissioner for Health, Dr Mordi Ononye, has said that the state government has put all modalities in place to contain any incident of corona virus (COVID-19).
Ononye, who in company of the State Commissioner for Information, Mr Charles Aniagwu and the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Mr Chiedu Ebie, stated this on Monday in Asaba while briefing newsmen on the development so far on government commitment to tackle the disease.
According to Ononye, the Rapid Response Team (RRT), an emergency committee put up by the state government is at the top of the issue.
He noted that the state government would not stop any form of social gathering but advised that all such gathering must observe all caution to ensure safety.
He said that the state government was working with the federal government, the National Center doe Disease Control (NCDC) and other stakeholders to contain any incident of the disease.
Dr Ann Ojimba, Incident Manager, Emergency Operation Committee for COVID-19, said the isolation center of the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Asaba has the state of the art facility, adding that another structure was been constructed as holding center at the FMC.
According to her, all the 11 facilities in the state have a holding center and as such there is no need to panic.
“The state public health centres are at red alert, we are trying to do what we call active surveillance and intensive risk communication to mitigate the incidence of the disease.
“We have to develop new culture, new habit of not touching our face, no more handshaking but with elbow”.
On his part, Dr, Belu Abaye, Delta Lead, for NCDC, said that Delta government has switched from watch mode to alert mode and had sustained the alert mode to ensure that the disease is contained in case of any outbreak.
He noted that there was no incidence of corona virus in the state and cautioned against rumours but urged the media to promote the right information to the general public that there was no cause for alarm.
Mr Chiedu Ebie, the SSG, reiterated that government commitment to containing any outbreak has moved from the watch mode to alert mode, while urging everyone not to panic.
“The governor is on top of the issue and I want to appeal to all Deltans and Nigerians to take necessary step to ensure improved hygiene.
The commissioner for information, said that the state government would continue to sustain its campaign to sensitise the people on the need to regularly wash their hands.
According to Aniagwu, the state government is providing all necessary support but change of behaviour is necessary to reduce contacts.
“In case it comes, the state medical team is on red alert to tackle the incidence.
“We advocate regular washing of hands which is cheaper to adopt in other to check the spread of the disease”.
He urged the media to support the government in proper dissemination of information to ensure that the people avoid panic as the situation was under control.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: