From Uche Nnorom, Makurdi
Renewed attack by Bonta boys of Konshisha local government on Ukpute people of Oju local government in Benue State have left two persons dead and three others seriously injured.
A prominent indigene of Oju who spoke to Peoplesdaily correspondent yesterday on ground of anonymity, narrated that they enjoyed relative peace for a week after the soliders left the area.
He said after then, the Bonta boys came last Tuesday on motorbike and shot sporadically into the air to scare the people.
“On Thursday, they returned again and were able to get one person. The man was returning from Ugboba, a village in Gwer where he had gone to take refuge to Ukpute. He was unfortunate and walked into the Bonta Boys who shot him dead. That same day, they shot another person but he did not die. He is recuperating at a local hospital where gun wounds are treated.
“Then they returned on Saturday in a guerilla style, shot sporadically and people scampered for fear. In the process, they kidnapped a youth Jonathan Ogah Odigba on a motorbike.immediatley, I called the Security Adviser to the Governor Lt. Col. Paul Hembah to report the matter to him but he did not pick his call and I dropped a message which he did not reply to. I also, dropped a message to the President Tiv Youth Organization Timothy Hembaor. He did not acknowledge the message even as I speak to you. I did same to the Special Adviser on Labor Chief Ode Enyi as well as Blessed Emmanuel who is an appointee from Oju. He told that he is talking with the authority on prevail on the Bonta boys to release the captive.
“While he was working on that, the Bonta boys may have gotten signal that government was trying to intervene to get the young man released, they killed him and brought his dead body fresh and dropped it at the village called Ikingo, it is an outskirt on Ukpute. Since then, we have been living in fear. We do not know if the government is doing anything about but we have reported to all the authorities. The government has not issued any statement. The Divisional Police Officer, DPO is aware because I reported the matter to him. In all two persons were killed and three injured”, the anonymous source said.
Efforts to get the DPO Oju local government area Adikwu John failed as his phone was switched off.
Similarly, when contacted the Police Command Public Relations’officer PPPRO DSP Catherine Anene said she is in a conference even as she failed to reply to text message sent to her phone by our correspondent.