From Uche Uche, Damaturu, Stanley Onyekwere & Doyin Ojosipe, Abuja
The number of persons killed in Tuesday night’s explosions in Damaturu, the Yobe state capital, has risen to 21, while 27 injured victims are said to be receiving treatment.
The explosives, which were planted in a KEKE NAPEP and parked outside a viewing centre in the town, was said to have gone off around 8pm when viewers were settled to watch the Brazil vs Mexico match.
Although the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Yobe state, Nansak Chegwam, had earlier claimed that only 14 deaths were recorded in the incident, hospital sources told the BBC that up to 21 people died in the bomb attack.
Meanwhile, the state governor, Ibrahim Gaidam has paid a condolence visit to the Yobe Specialist Hospital in Damaturu, where most of the victims are being treated.
The governor, who was represented by his deputy, Engineer Abubakar Aliyu, expressed sadness over the dastard act, and prayed the insecurity in the country will come to an end very soon.
The Yobe state government also declared free medical services and care for those who sustained injuries in the attack.
This was disclosed yesterday, in a statement issued by Special Adviser to the governor on Press Affairs and Information, Abdullahi Bego.
According to the statement, Governor Gaidam, who is currently away in Abuja on official engagement, has directed the state ministry of health and the hospitals management board to provide the free services to the injured, after he was briefed about the attack.
It added that the governor, who condemned the attack, described it as heinous, barbaric and totally unjustifiable.
He however called on security agents currently engaged in the fight against insurgency to continue to do more to ensure the protection of lives and properties.
“The governor’s thoughts are with the families of those who have lost their lives in the attack and those who sustained injuries”, the statement added.