Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Wed, Jul 9th, 2014

Boko Haram: We’re investigating prominent politicians – Military

Share This
Tags

Nigerian ArmyBy Joy Baba

Coordinator of the National Information Centre (NIC) Mr. Mike Omeri, yesterday disclosed that some prominent politicians are presently being interrogated following discovery of their identity cards in terrorists’ camps destroyed inside the Balmo Forest in Bauchi State last week.

Omeri told reports in Abuja during the regular briefing by members of the Centre on efforts to fight terror in the country and find the over 200 Chibok secondary school girls abducted since April 14 this year, that “following the last successful operations carried out by security forces to dislodge terrorists from their forest bases in Darazo Local Government Area end of Balmo Forest, some politicians are currently being investigated following their link with activities in the forest.”

According to him “The politicians are being interrogated following the recovery of some sensitive registration cards and other materials of a prominent political party that were found in the possession of some of the suspect’s arrested.”

Omeri did not reveal the names of the politicians, but said they are prominent politicians belonging to a frontline political party.” Troops even recovered the identity cards of some of the politicians, “he declared.

He accused some of the organisations and individuals championing the cause of the abducted girls of aiding insurgency in the country.

Speaking at the briefing, the spokesperson of the Department of State Security Service, (DSS), Ms Marilyn Ogar said the ‘#BringBackOurGirls campaigners’ are a franchise without genuine intentions.

She said if the mission is a clear one, they would not ask citizens to register and carry tags before joining in the campaign, alleging that the group has been visiting prominent Nigerians soliciting for funds and assistance of different forms, with a bank account where funds are sent to.

The DSS spokesperson also disclosed that the group have completed arrangement to use a location in Abuja with the help of foreign media and claim that they visited Chibok, even as they have gone as far as paying some people to come on air and claim that they are parents of the abducted girls.

‘If they have genuine intentions, they will no ask members to register and carry tags or seek financial assistance’ she added.

Responding to a question, Army spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade insisted that the military and other security agencies were getting results in their fight against terror. “He noted that arrests of terrorists and their backers being made regularly were indicative of such results, which should be encouraging to all Nigerians.

“Nigerians should be assured that there is hope of finding and bringing back the girls, there is hope that the terrorists will be defeated and good progress is being made”, he assured.

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: