The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has said that notwithstanding the security challenges in the North-East, no final decision had been made on how the refugees of Boko Haram would vote come 2015 general elections.
Nik Dazam, who is the INEC assistant publicity secretary, said this on Tuesday on the Hausa Service of the BBC monitored in Jos.
He said, ” We have not yet decided on how refugees of Boko Haram crisis will vote come 2015 election because we do not know whether the security personnel in the affected states can restore peace in the area or not. We have to wait to see what is going to happen.
“We are working hand in hand with the security to ensure that everything goes smoothly. If eventually the security fails to re-establish normalcy in the area we then take a final decision on how the displaced persons are going to vote during election” he added.
Dazam further explained that constitutionally, every eligible Nigerian has the right to vote and be voted for including the displaced persons and therefore INEC assured that it would do all it could to conduct election everywhere in the country.
Recall that countless people are being displaced through the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents in the states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.