By Egena Sunday Ode
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday told the people of Katsina and other states afflicted by the nefarious activities of bandits not to give up on the Nigeria military.
The President in a statement by his Senior Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, affirmed that the military over the years had a track record of quelling crisis once they were given enough time.
He warned that taking to the streets for protests could distract them.
Buhari also assured the entirety of Nigerians that the nation’s armed forces were fully capable of dealing with the challenges of banditry and terrorism, urging more patience as the military took appropriate steps to block gaps being exploited to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
According to the statement, Buhari had already approved a joint military and police operation specifically targeted at combing Niger, Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara and Sokoto States to rid the areas of bandits. He assured that surveillance would be improved, with more night vision aircrafts already deployed under “Operation Accord’’.
The operation was launched three weeks ago, the statement said.
“Nigeria’s military has displayed its capabilities in the past and will show it again by dealing with the current challenges,” the President was quoted to have said.
He appealed to the people of Katsina State to be patient and supportive of the ongoing military operations in the state, while sympathizing with those who were bereaved, injured and lost properties.
President Buhari admonished that taking to the streets for protest could distract the military operations, urging “Katsina indigenes not to give up on the military who over the years have a strong track record of quelling crises once given enough time.
“The major forests in North Western Nigeria have been identified as home to the bandits in the region. The operation will clear all these forests,’’ he further said.