By Tobias Lengnan Dapam
The Nigeria Airforce said its Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole between 10 and 18 August 2018, conducted massive day and night attacks against remnants of Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) and their facilities near Arra in Borno state.
The Air Force in a statement issued yesterday by its Director of Public Relations and Information, Ibikunle Daramola said the attacks, which were
preceded by days of intensive Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions, were planned and executed based on credible intelligence indicating that the BHTs were making moves to regroup around the fringes of Sambisa.
“The first air strike was a daytime mission executed on 10 August 2018 at a location 4.5 Km Northwest of Arra around the fringes of Sambisa, where ISR had confirmed that BHTs were regrouping to launch attacks against our troops in the general area.
“Accordingly, the ATF detailed an Alpha Jet to attack the location. Overhead the area of interest, the Alpha Jet acquired and engaged targets, destroying parts of the settlement and neutralizing several BHTs.
“Intelligence reports later revealed that some of the surviving BHTs had converged at another location 4.8Km West of Arra.
Consequently, the ATF deployed Mi-35M helicopter gunships for a night attack on the new location on 18 August 2018, resulting in the death of dozens of BHTs.”
Borno Gov, Shettima dispels alleged bombing of dam by insurgents Governor Kashim Shettima has dispelled speculations on Saturday that a lake in Alau town, a distance of about five km from Maiduguri, had been bombed by Boko Haram insurgents.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that following over-flow of water from the dam, locals of the town had circulated misleading information to the effect that insurgents had destroyed the dam.
Mr Shettima, who dispelled the rumor on Sunday after a tour of the facility with Bulama Biu, Acting GOC 7 Div. Maiduguri, said the damage was caused by lack of maintenance.
Mr Shettima said that it was one of the embarkment that was slightly washed away by water.
“Our findings reveal that one of the embankments got washed away, embankments that require regular maintenance.
“The GOC (7 Div) was there early this morning; he assessed it and has pictures of what happened to that particular embankment,” he said.
The governor said he and some management staff of Chad Basin Development Authority were also at the scene and assured that measures
would be taken to remedy the situation.
Mr Shettima said that some days ago, some of the dikes were opened to decongest the dam, saying that the measure might have been responsible for the washing away of the portion of the embankment.
“I wished to assure Borno Citizen that all is well; there was no any terrorist attack on the dam,” he said.
Also clarifying the issue, Bashir Garga, NEMA Northeast Zonal Coordinator, said that one of the dikes close to a deserted community, got destroyed.
Mr Garga said an emergency response team comprising NEMA and SEMA officials undertook an on-the-spot assessment to ascertain the situation.
“Though the team could not gain access to where the incident occured, but based on the information gathered on the field, it was one of the dikes close to one of the deserted communities, Bale kayamla, that was washed away,” he said.
Also speaking on the incident, Babagana Yuroma, Executive Director Engineering Chad Basin Development Authority, said three of the five dikes had washed away.
Mr Yuroma said the activities of insurgents around Alau village had made it impossible for maintenance to be carried out on the dikes, hence the sudden lapses.(NAN)