At least 29 people were reportedly killed between Monday and Tuesday, in a separate night attacks carried out by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in two villages of Borno state.
The first incident occurred earlier on Monday, when dozen of the insurgents attacked Shawa village, in Daboa local government area of the state, killing 12 persons.
Shawa is about 15 kilometers away from Chibok town, where over 200 schoolgirls were abducted by the insurgents.
Residents said scores of armed insurgents stormed the area around 9pm, shooting everyone at sight and setting houses, shops and vehicles on fire.
“The militants, armed with sophisticated weapons, raided the area and begun sporadic shootings into the direction of crowd, killing 12 people on the spot and burnt most houses and shops in the village.
Throughout the onslaught which lasted for over five hours, there were no single security personnel to confront the invaders as they had a field day wreaking havoc on us. The invaders snatched several vehicles and loaded them with bags of assorted foodstuff , before fleeing the area”, a resident, who declined identification said.
It was gathered that Tuesday’s attack was carried out on Alagarno village, in Askira Uba local government area, which claimed 17 lives.Alagarno is also about 30 kilometres from Chibok. The hoodlums invaded the town , setting ablaze several houses and vehicles after killing 17 persons.
A resident, Malam Umaru Saina, told newsmen on phone said after the carnage, it was discovered that a young lady was missing, but could yet ascertain if she was abducted by the insurgents.
Saina said: “They destroyed everything we have, carted away our foodstuff and burnt down the remaining ones. The most painful thing is that they did not spare children. They kill a child, women and they equally kill men”.
The Emir of Askira, Alhaji Abubakar Askirama, who confirmed the incident in a phone chat with newsmen said 60 houses were burnt, after the attackers killed 17 people, leaving several others wounded.
The royal father decried absence of security operatives in the area, even as they alerted relevant authorities on the need to deploy troops to safeguard the community.
“Immediately after the Chibok attack, where over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped, we urged the security agents to deploy their personnel but our appeal fell on deaf ears”, he said.