Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />
Published On: Mon, Nov 10th, 2014

2015: Jonathan declares tomorrow

Share This
Tags

Jonathan-2015By Ochiaka Ugwu

There are indications that President Goodluck Jonathan will be declaring finally tomorrow for 2015 Presidential contest in Abuja after keeping Nigerians guessing for a long time on his re-election bid.

The president who had earlier obtained his nomination form from the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) secretariat in Abuja was said to have concluded plans to make the event colourful deserving of an incumbent.

The ceremony is scheduled to hold at the popular Eagle Square, near the Federal Secretariat as the square is already wearing a new look with security personnel mounting guard in strategic places.

Our correspondent learnt that the declaration will hold simultaneously in six different cities around the world with supporters of Jonathan and members of the PDP in Diaspora featuring under the banner of the one Nigeria Coalition.

The cities include four United States of American cities of Washington DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston and in London (United Kingdom) and Johannesburg (South Africa).

For those cities whose time zones are closer to Nigerian time, like London and Johannesburg, they are expected to tune in to the event. But for most US cities where the flag waving events and speeches will simultaneously hold, they will join later.

The preparation for the declaration is on-going just as it emerged how President Goodluck Jonathan overruled the chairman of the PDP and members of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the party into reversing the shut out order it gave two of its Presidential aspirants, son of Nigeria’s late prime minister, Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Dr Abdul Jelil Tafawa Balewa and Mrs Zainab Akasoba Duke-Abiola from purchasing the party’s nomination forms. It claimed that following the PDP endorsement of the President, only one presidential nomination form was printed.

The PDP NEC had at its 66th NEC meeting endorsed President Goodluck Jonathan as the party’s sole Presidential candidate, submitting that his candidature would be formally ratified at the December 10 National Convention.

The party therefore advised its members to adhere strictly to the decision by not picking presidential nomination forms.

Upon this, Dr Tafawa Balewa and Mrs Duke-Abiola were denied the forms.

But Peoples Daily gathered that President Jonathan summoned PDP national chairman, Alhaji Adamu Muazu and members of the NEC, directed them as the party leader, to reverse their decision and allow them participate in the primaries irrespective of his earlier endorsement. They however, decided to widen the horizon upon advice by the Ijaw born leader.

“President Jonathan summoned them to a meeting and directed that the two be allowed to purchase the forms and participate in the presidential primary at the party’s convention. They had to reverse their decision as they were told that it is undemocratic to stop anybody from the process. No one need be denied just because the President was endorsed by the party.”

Unfortunately, Dr Tafawa Balewa has withdrawn from the contest following a meeting with Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark.

Sources also said that “the President will use the declaration to give an inspiring score card on Nigeria under his watch, the challenges he is facing and the roadmap to where the nation will be going.

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: